Users’ Rights Week 2021 Edition
The 2021 edition of User Rights Week will take place from November 9th to 15th, and this year the theme will be Reaffirming the 12 user rights.
As users of the Health and Social Services network, we have rights recognized by the Act respecting health services and social services (LSSSS). The LSSSS uses fundamental rights to define user rights. These rights must be exercised judiciously and with respect for other users who have the same rights. The rights recognized to any person can be exercised by a representative.
- Right to information
- Right to receive services
- Right to choose a professional or institution
- Right to receive appropriate care according to one’s health status
- Right to consent to care or to refuse care
- Right to actively participate in decision-making
- Right to be accompanied, assisted and represented
- Right to shelter/Accommodation
- Right to receive services in English
- Right to access one’s User’s file
- Right to the confidentiality of one’s User’s file
- Right to lodge a complaint
2021 promotional material
As part of the 2021 edition, the RPCU offers you, exceptionally, free promotional material, including:
- 2 (two) big posters: format 17 x 22 po
- 5 (cinq) medium posters: format 11 x 17 po
- 6 (six) small posters: format 8,5 x 11 po
To order other promotional materials with revised prices, please, use the following forms.
Word form | PDF form
How can you participate?
Note: The organization of activities and the setting up of initiatives within the framework of the 2020 edition of Users’ Rights Week must take into account the context of the Covid-19 pandemic and respect for health recommendations for everyone and those relating to gatherings as formulated by the Government of Quebec and which will be in effect at the time of these activities.
The Health and Social Services Network Users’ Rights Week is being held during the last week of September. This may not be convenient for everyone who would be called upon to participate, so it’s important to remember that activities can be organised at any time during the year. What’s important is to participate! The promotional materials for Users’ Rights Week are available at all times.
- Users can get information on their rights and get involved in a committee.
- Staff of the health and social services network can provide updates on its practices regarding users’ rights and obtain information about the Users’ or In-Patients’ committees within their facility.
- Health institutions can present the accomplishments of institutions and facilities with regards to the needs of users.
- Professional associations can raise awareness about their links with Users’ committees
- Community groups can raise awareness on users’ rights in their community and on the work accomplished by Users’ and In-patients’ committees.
- The Ministry of Health and Social Services can provide updates on improvements to the quality of health care and social services.
- Quality and Complaints Commissioners can get information on Users’ and In-patients’ committees.
For Users and In-patients’ committees:
- Inform the public about their role by organizing Open House days within their facility;
- Distribute promotional material to the users;
- Organize the General Meeting during this Open House week and invite the users;
- Organize a public lecture;
- Meet with management and staff of the facility to raise awareness on the rights of users;
- Participate in activities with the Complaint and Quality of Services Commissioner, the institution’s foundation or network of volunteers to raise awareness on the Users’ committee and its mandate;
- Suggest a training session or conference be given to committees’ members by the Regroupement provincial des comités des usagers (RPCU);
- Set up new initiatives;
- Take the opportunity to recruit new members;
- Raise awareness of users’ rights through local media;
- Issue a press release about the Users’ Rights’ Week.
About the Users’ Rights’ Week
The Users’ Rights’ Week (Semaine des droits des usagers du réseau de la santé et des services sociaux) is organised each year by the RPCU together with the Users and In-patients’ committees. It aims at informing users of their rights and highlighting the work carried out within Quebec’s health and social services institutions. Vigi Santé Group Ltd. was the initiator of the Users’ Rights Week in 2007.
At the request of the Users and In-patients’ committees who are members of the RPCU, Users’ Rights’ Week will be moved to November starting in 2021.
- Week 2020: September 21-27, 2020
- Week 2021: November 9 to 15, 2021